Tuesday 4 May 2010

WAZ HOOLA - MULTIPLY REALITY BY INFINITY









Red Guard Records CD Release 002

Waz Hoola 'Multiply Reality By Infinity'

Hand Stamped Numbered And Wax Sealed CDs Ltd To 300 Copies

£6 Postage Paid Anywhere In The World Click On Button Above

Multiply Reality By Infinity Reviews:-

"OK, no stories this time: just the facts. This is a proper CD containing two tracks totalling about 55 minutes. It is a solo recording by Waz Hoola, the head honcho of Infinite Exchange Records. It comes housed in a cardboard sleeve sealed with a blob of red wax. The monolithic heaviness of the music is underscored by the accompanying booklet: a collection of photographs of cracked slabs of rock (paving?). But I get ahead of myself…

‘Infinity’, the first track, builds into a deep, resonantly textured drone – its components like lava liquefying the motorway tarmac it rolls over. Occasionally the cooling surface cracks to reveal the white-orange heat inside. It is no joke recording this stuff – distortion or clipping can really harsh the buzz or pop the enveloping bubble – but this is immaculate. I was agog when, at around the 21 minute mark, something remarkable happens: there is a drum roll, no – it’s a rhythm track, then a guitar riff, then someone stamps on the pedals and the whole piece insta-evolves into a stoner metal groove. This is, to put it bluntly, fucking genius. Both this type of rock and drone music involve a pursuit of ego-dissolving noise and to layer the latter with the former is so perfect that it made me laugh out loud when I realised what was happening. When I first heard this I was walking to work and arrived at my desk with a few minutes still to run – I shoed my colleagues away and sat it out, marvelling.

The last of the riff fades out as the second track, ‘Reality’ takes over. The final cymbal crash stretched out into the start of a shimmering, metallic drone. This ebb and flow carries us through a twenty minute comedown, reality indeed, before leaving the listener beached. Possibly my favourite thing that I’ve heard all year."
http://radiofreemidwich.wordpress.com/

“…big throbbing bass drones…very dramatic indeed and recalling Kevin Drumm's recent drone work. The tension builds and suddenly I'm in a gloriously murky and simultaneously psychedelic world where I imagine halls of mirrors and liquid metal. I do really like this a lot, its sorta maximal drone gear with loads of other mind melting shit going off.”

A Norman Records recommendation - 30th April 2010
http://www.normanrecords.com/records/116159/

“…fuses low-end doom-swell with layers of warm fuzz and super-sedative drift like Aidan Baker paying tribute to Ouroboros - lost to all but the eternal, pedal-heavy hum.”

Rock-A-Rolla
http://rock-a-rolla.com/main/

No comments: